Australia Information for Job Seekers
Job search in Australia requires more than just the obvious Australia CV writing and translation. You will face issues that probably did not even cross your mind when you decided to go for an overseas career. Do not underestimate the big impact they can have on the result of your adventure! For example, you will experience the different immigration rules and practices, job application procedures, the selection trends and the management culture.
Most visits to Australia are trouble-free but you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate international terrorist attacks, which could be against civilian targets, including places frequented by foreigners. The Australia authorities have carried out a number of arrests as a result of investigations into terrorist networks.
Time: Australia spans three time zones:
- GMT + 10 (GMT + 11 from October to March, except Queensland; starts a month earlier in Tasmania).
- GMT + 9.5 (GMT + 10.5 from October to March, except Northern Territory).
- GMT + 8 (GMT + 9 from October to March, three-year trial in Western Australia until 2009 followed by referendum).
Some states operate daylight saving time during the Australia summer.
Telephone country code: 61
Internet country code: .au
Annual vacation: Many businesses close between Christmas and New Year when business activity is very low. Most Australia manufacturing closes for the month of January and most Australians take the majority of their annual holiday during this period. Retail, banks and other service organizations remain open for business throughout the year.
- New Year's Day - 1 January
- Australia Day - 26 January
- Good Friday - 10 April
- Easter Monday - 13 April
- University Concession Day - 14 April
- Anzac Day - 25 April
- Queen's Birthday (NSW) - 8 June (to be proclaimed)
- Labor Day (NSW) - 5 October (to be proclaimed)
- Christmas Day - 25 December
- Boxing Day - 26 December
- Boxing Day Public Holiday - 28 December (to be proclaimed)
- University Concession Day - 29 December
- University Concession Day - 30 December
- University Concession Day - 31 December
- Offices - Mon to Fri 8:30 -17:30
- Banks - Mon to Thu 9:30 to 16:00, Fri 9:30 - 17:00
- Post offices - Mon to Fri 09:00-17:00; some post office are also open Sat 09:00-12:00
- Stores - usually 8:30 - 17:30 weekdays and 9:00 - 16:00/17:00 on Saturday. Many shops close on Sunday, although major department stores and shops in tourist precincts are open 7 days.
Background: Australia became a commonwealth of the British Empire in 1901. It was able to take advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef. A referendum to change Australia's status, from a commonwealth headed by the British monarch to a republic, was defeated in 1999.
Climate: generally arid to semiarid; temperate in south and east; tropical in north
Languages: English, native languages
Other Australia Information
We hope that your Australia job search will be successful. So, find out how to prepare the Australia cover letter and Australia CV. When they are ready, you may email them to your future employers and job recruiters and start preparing for an Australia job interview.
Good luck with your Australia information!
- --- Australia Economy >