Carpenter Occupation, Job and Career
Carpenter Nature of Work
Carpenters construct, erect, install, finish, maintain and repair wooden, wood-substitutes and metal structures and fixtures on residential and commercial buildings. They may also work on large concrete, steel and timber structures such as bridges, dams, power stations and civil engineering projects.
Construction companies, carpentry contractors, maintenance departments of factories, plants and other establishments employ them, or they may be self-employed. Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
Carpenter Work Conditions
Carpenters work is sometimes strenuous. Prolonged standing, climbing, bending and kneeling often are necessary. Carpenters risk injury working with sharp or rough materials, using sharp tools and power equipment, and working in situations where they might slip or fall. Although many carpenters work indoors, those that work outdoors are subject to variable weather conditions.
Carpenter Personal Requirements
- A sense of balance and ability to work at heights
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to work with your hands
- Enjoy practical work Good at mathematics
- Good health and eyesight
Carpenter Employment Requirements
- Completion of secondary school is usually required
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or
- A combination of over five years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses is usually required to be eligible for trade certification
- Trade certification is usually required
Carpenter Duties and Tasks
Carpenters may perform some or all of the following duties and tasks:
- Build floors, wall frameworks (timber or metal), roofs and suspended ceilings, and lay timber floors
- Construct and erect prefabricated units, such as cottages and houses
- Construct formwork into which concrete is poured
- Cut materials, and assemble or nail, cut and shape parts
- Install door handles, locks, hardware, flooring underlay, insulating material and other fixtures Install metal and timber windows, sashes and doors
- Maintain and sharpen tools
- Maintain, repair and renovate residences and wooden structures in mills, mines, hospitals, industrial plants and other establishments
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings, sketches, plans and specifications to determine the materials required, dimensions, installation processes and calculate requirements
- Set out an outline of the building on the ground of the site, using string and pegs to allow for excavations
- With hand and power tools measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes and other materials
Carpenter Example Titles
- Apprentice carpenter
- Finish carpenter
- Journeyman/woman carpenter
- Maintenance carpenter
- Renovation carpenter
- Rough carpenter
Carpenter Related Occupations
- Building Contractors
- Wood Machinists
Construction Related Industries
Carpenter Related Resumes
- Carpenter resume sample in the combined format
- Foreman resume sample in the combined format
- Home Construction Professional resume sample in the combined format
You may search for construction careers or carpenter occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Carpenter Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with carpenter occupation!