Chemical Engineer Occupation, Job and Career
Chemical Engineer Nature of Work
Chemical engineers research, design and coordinate the construction and operation of manufacturing facilities and processes, which convert raw materials into everyday products such as gas/petrol, pharmaceuticals and plastics.
Chemical engineers are employed in a wide range of manufacturing and processing industries, consulting firms, government, research and educational institutions. Chemical engineers apply principles of chemistry, physics, mathematics mechanical and electrical engineering.
With experience and sometimes further training, chemical engineers may advance to become business, technical, financial or works managers, personnel directors or managing directors of large companies.
Chemical Engineer Work Conditions
Chemical engineers usually work standard hours, but may be called to meet demanding deadlines. Those with responsibilities for continuous process plants may be on call 24 hours a day. Some may work shifts during the commissioning of new plants. Workplaces range from laboratories and processing plants to engineering design offices and research institutions.
Chemical Engineer Personal Requirements
- Able to accept responsibility
- Able to identify, analyze and solve problems
- Able to work independently
- Enjoy technical and engineering work
- Good at computing and design
- Good communication skills
- Practical and creative
- Willing to adhere to safety requirements
Chemical Engineer Employment Requirements
- A bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or in a related engineering discipline
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination
- Licensing usually is required to approve engineering drawings and reports, and to practice as a Professional Engineer
- Supervisory and senior positions require experience
Chemical Engineer Duties and Tasks
Chemical engineer may perform some or all of the following duties and tasks:
- Conduct economic and technical feasibility studies including cost efficiency, environmental friendliness, maximum output and product quality in areas related to chemical, petroleum, pulp and paper, food or other processing industries
- Conduct research into the development or improvement of chemical engineering processes, reactions and materials
- Design and test chemical processing and associated plants and equipment
- Direct and coordinate the work of maintenance and construction trades’ people or process plant operators, technicians, technologists and other engineers
- Identify faults in the day-to-day operation of process plants and take corrective action
- Make plans and specifications for full-scale production plants, taking into account available technology, the cost and size of equipment and storage space, market needs, transport methods and disposal of surplus substances
- Look after the safe, efficient and environmentally friendly operation of equipment and test products at various stages of production to check the quality
- Oversee the construction, modification, operation and maintenance of pilot plants, processing units or processing plants
- Provide product process information to sales and marketing personnel or customers
Chemical Engineer Example Titles
- Adhesives Engineer
- Chemical Process Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Petroleum Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Pulp and Paper Engineer
- Refinery Engineer
- Waste Treatment Engineer
Chemical Engineer Related Occupations
- Biomedical Engineers
- Civil Engineers
- Engineering Managers
- Environmental Chemist
- Metallurgical Engineers
- Petroleum Engineers
- Process Engineers
Engineering Related Industries
- Oil and Gas
- Pulp and Paper
- Quality Control
Chemical Engineer Related Resumes
- Industrial Engineer resume sample in the combined form
- Manufacturing Engineer resume sample in the combined format
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Manufacturing Process Engineer resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Plant Management Specialist resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Plant Manager Manufacturing resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Plant Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Plant Mechanic resume sample in the combined format
- Plant Mechanic resume sample in the functional format
- Plant Operations Supervisor resume sample in the combined format
You may search for engineering careers or chemical engineer occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Chemical Engineer Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with chemical engineer occupation!