Civil Engineer Occupation, Job and Career
Civil Engineer Nature of Work
Civil engineers plan, design, construct, operate and maintain buildings, roads, bridges, tunnels, dams, water distribution and sanitation, sewerage systems, transportation, harbors, canals, dockyard facilities, airports, railways, factories and large buildings.
Civil engineers are employed by engineering consulting companies, in all levels of government, by construction firms and in many other industries, or they may be self-employed. Many civil engineers hold supervisory or administrative positions, from supervisor of a construction site to city engineer.
Civil Engineer Work Conditions
Civil engineers may work in offices or spend much of their time on site. They may be required to work long hours and be capable of meeting strict deadlines while working under minimal supervision. Civil engineers deal with various professional, skilled and semi-skilled people.
Consulting and contracting engineers often travel interstate and some may travel overseas. It may be necessary for some civil engineers to change residence every few years as their work takes them from one major engineering site to another.
Civil Engineer Personal Requirements
- Able to accept responsibility
- Able to identify, analyze and solve problems
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to work without supervision
- Aptitude for computing and design
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Practical and creative
- Willing to contribute and adhere to the safety requirements of the operation
Civil Engineer Employment Requirements
- A bachelor's degree in civil engineering or in a related engineering discipline required for entry-level engineering jobs.
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
- Licensing usually is required to approve engineering drawings and reports, and to practice as a Professional Engineer.
- Supervisory and senior positions require experience.
Civil Engineers Duties and Tasks
Civil engineers may perform some or all of the following duties and tasks:
- Act as project or site supervisor for land survey or construction work
- Analyze risks associated with natural disasters including wind, earthquake, fire and floods, and design structures and services to meet appropriate standards
- Conduct feasibility studies, economic analyses, municipal and regional traffic studies, environmental impact studies or other investigations
- Conduct field services for civil works
- Conduct technical analyses of survey and field data for development of topographic, soil, hydrological or other information and prepare reports
- Confer with clients and other members of the engineering team and conduct research to determine project requirements
- Develop construction specifications and procedures
- Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of building codes and other regulations
- Establish and monitor construction work schedules
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials
- Interpret, review and approve survey and civil design work
- Plan and design major civil projects such as buildings, roads, bridges, dams, water and waste management systems and structural steel fabrications
- Prepare contract documents, review and evaluate tenders for construction projects
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates.
Civil Engineer Example Titles
- Bridge Engineer
- Construction Manager
- Highway Engineer
- Municipal Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Traffic Engineer
- Water Management Engineer
Civil Engineer Related Occupations
- Agricultural Engineers
- Building Contractors
- Building Surveyors
- Construction Managers
- Engineering Managers
- Environmental Engineers
- Mining Engineers
- Transportation Managers
Engineering Related Industries
Civil Engineer Related Resumes
- Civil Engineer Construction resume sample in the functional format
- Civil Engineer resume sample in the combined format
- Junior Civil Engineer resume sample in the combined format
- Junior Structural Engineer resume sample in the combined format
You may search for engineering careers or civil engineer occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Civil Engineer Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with civil engineer occupation!