Computer Engineer Occupation, Job and Career
Computer Engineer Nature of Work
Computer engineers research, plan, design, develop, modify, evaluate and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware and software, related equipment and information and communication system networks including mainframe systems, local and wide area networks, fiber-optic networks, wireless communication networks, intranets, the internet and other data communications systems.
Computer engineers are employed by computer and telecommunication hardware and software manufacturers, by engineering, manufacturing and telecommunications firms, in information technology consulting firms, by governmental, educational and research institutions and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
Computer Engineer Work Conditions
Computer engineers spend most of their time in an office. Most work at least 40 hours a week and may have to work evenings and weekends to meet deadlines or solve unexpected problems.
Computer Engineer Personal Requirements
- able to investigate, identify and solve problems quickly and efficiently
- able to understand and communicate with a wide variety of people, especially clients
- able to work as part of a team
- active interest in maintaining personal technical skills and knowledge
- enjoy electronics, computers and electro-mechanical equipment
- good customer service and public contact skills
- logical approach to work, self-reliance and ability to work independently
Computer Engineer Employment Requirements
- Computer engineers require a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, electrical or electronics engineering, engineering physics or computer science
- A master's or doctoral degree in a related engineering discipline may be required
Computer Engineer Duties and Tasks
Computer engineers may perform the following tasks:
- analyze problems and develop and implement solutions
- devise and undertake a regular service program, including support of operating systems
- manage projects and supervise staff
- provide input on matters associated with site preparation and installation of large computer systems
- put cables in for computer networks
- work with IT analysts and designers to detail the computer hardware and peripherals required to run an IT system across desktop, mid-range and/or mainframe environments
Computer Engineers Example Titles
- Computer Hardware Engineer
- Engineer, Computer Hardware
- Fiber-optic Network Designer
- Hardware Design Engineer
- Hardware Engineer
- Network Systems Engineer
- Technical Architect – Hardware
Computer Engineer Related Occupations
- Computer Managers
- Computer Programmers
- Electronics Engineers
- Software Engineers
- Web Designers
Computers Related Industries
Computer Engineer Related Resumes
- Computer Network Administrator resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- LAN Administrator resume sample in the combined format
- Lead Developer resume sample in the combined format
- Lead Programmer resume sample in the combined format
- Network Administrator resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Network Engineer resume sample in the combined format
- Network LAN Administrator resume sample in the combined format
- Network Systems Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Programmer Analyst resume sample in the combined format
- Senior Network Administrator resume sample in the combined format
- Senior Network Engineer resume sample in the combined format
- Senior Systems Engineer resume sample in the combined format
- Software Consultant resume sample in the keyword format
- Software Deployment Strategist resume sample in the combined format
- Software Developer resume sample in the combined format
- Software Developer resume sample in the keyword format
- Software Development Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Software Engineer resume sample in the combined format
You may search for computer careers or computer engineer occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Computer Engineer Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with computer engineer occupation!