Computer Operator Occupation, Job and Career
Computer Operator Nature of Work
Computer operators establish, operate, maintain and co-ordinate the use of local and wide area networks, mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. Computer operators must anticipate problems and take preventive action, as well as solve problems that occur during operations.
They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Progression to senior positions is possible with experience.
Computer Operator Work Conditions
Computer operators generally work in well-lighted, well-ventilated, comfortable rooms. Because many organizations use their computers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, computer operators may be required to work evening or night shifts and weekends. Shift assignments usually are made based on seniority.
Computer Operator Personal Requirements
- Able to investigate, identify and solve problems quickly and efficiently
- Able to concentrate for long periods
- Able to work quickly and accurately
- Attention to detail
- Logical approach to work, self-reliance and ability to work independently
Computer Operator Employment Requirements
Computer operators usually receive on-the-job training in order to become familiar with their employer’s equipment and routines. The length of training varies with the job and the experience of the employee. However, previous work experience is the key to obtaining an operator job in many large establishments. Employers generally look for specific, hands-on experience with the type of equipment and related operating systems they use. Additionally, formal computer training, perhaps through a college or technical school, is recommended.
Computer Operator Duties and Tasks
Computer Operators may perform some or all of the following duties and tasks:
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software and operating system software
- Implement data, software and hardware security procedures
- Load computer tapes and disks and install software and printer paper and forms
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks, wide area networks, mainframe networks and computer workstations and peripheral equipment
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations
- Perform routine network start up, shut down and maintain control records
- Provide problem-solving services to network users
Computer Operator Example Titles
- Data Center Operator
- Network Administrator
- Network Support Technician
- System Engineer
- Web Technician
Computer Operator Related Occupations
- Computer Engineers
- Computer Programmers
- Data Entry Clerks
- Technical Support Analysts
- Telecom Technicians
- IT Support Technician
- Word Processing Operator
All private and public industries i.e.
- Health / Medical
- Human Resources
- Telecom etc.
Computer Operator Related Resumes
- Computer Consultant resume sample in the functional format
- Computer Instructor resume sample in the functional format
- Computer Professional resume sample in the combined format
- Computer Programmer resume sample in the functional format
- Computer Repair Technician resume sample in the combined format
- Computer Support Analyst resume sample in the combined format
- Computer Support Specialist resume sample in the combined format
- Computer Systems Administrator resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Computer System Technician resume sample in the combined format
- Computer Systems Technician resume sample in the functional format
- Computer Technical Support resume sample in the functional format
- Computer Technician resume sample in the combined format
- Desktop Support Analyst resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- PC Repair Technician resume sample in the combined format
- Professional Computer Technician resume sample in the functional format
- Program Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Web Consultant resume sample in the combined format
- Web Designer resume sample in the combined format
- Web Developer resume sample in the combined format
- Web Developer resume sample in the functional format
- Web Programmer resume sample in the functional format
- Web Site Administrator resume sample in the functional format
You may search for computer careers or computer operator occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Computer Operator Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with computer operator occupation!