Construction Manager Occupation, Job and Career
Construction Manager Nature of Work
Construction managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of a construction company or a construction department within a company, under the direction of a general manager or other senior manager. Construction managers are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and by construction departments of companies outside the construction industry.
Construction Manager Work Conditions
Many construction managers work in private organizations such as large construction and development companies or consultancies. Some are employed by government departments while others are self-employed.
Construction Manager Personal Requirements
- good communication skills
- management and leadership ability
- personal drive, initiative and resourcefulness
- problem-solving ability
Construction Manager Employment Requirements
- A university degree in civil engineering or a college diploma in construction technology is usually required
- A master's degree in project management may be required
- Several years of experience in the construction industry, including experience as a construction supervisor or field superintendent, are usually required
- Extensive experience in the construction industry may substitute for post-secondary education requirements
- Professional engineering status or construction trade certification may be required by some employers.
Construction Manager Duties and Tasks
A construction project manager may perform the following tasks:
- consult with architects, engineers and other technical workers to make sure that design intentions are met
- control payment to subcontractors by valuation of completed works
- control preparation of cost estimates and the documentation for contract bids
- coordinate the supply of labor and materials
- interpret plans, estimate costs and quantities of materials needed
- make sure that building regulations, standards and by-laws are enforced in building operations
- plan construction methods and procedures
- study building contract documents and negotiate with building owners and subcontractors
- supervise construction sites and direct site managers and subcontractors to make sure standards of building performance, quality, cost schedules and safety are maintained
Construction Managers Example Titles
- Construction Superintendent
- General Contractor
- Housing Construction Manager
- Project Manager, Construction
- Residential Construction Manager
Construction Manager Related Occupations
- Building Contractors
- Building Surveyors
- Building Technicians
- Civil Engineers
- Engineering Managers
- Project Engineers
- Property Developers
Construction Related Industries
Construction Manager Related Resumes
- Construction Manager resume sample in the functional format
- Construction Process Engineer resume sample in the chronological format
- Construction Professional resume sample in the combined format
- Construction Safety Engineer resume sample in the combined format
- Construction Superintendent resume sample in the combined format
- Contractor resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- General Contractor resume sample in the combined format
You may search for construction careers or construction manager occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Construction Manager Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with construction manager occupation!