Customer Service Representative Occupation, Job and Career
Customer Service Representative Nature of Work
Customer service representatives look after an organization's customer services including after-sales service, and work to maintain good customer relations.
They are employed by banks, trust companies and similar financial institutions, retail establishments, call centers, insurance, telephone and utility companies and by other companies throughout the private and public sectors to serve as a direct point of contact for customers. They are responsible for ensuring that their company’s customers receive an adequate level of service or help with their questions and concerns.
Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
Customer Service Representative Work Conditions
Customer service representatives generally work indoors for companies or government departments. Many work in call or customer contact centers. In this type of environment, workers generally have their own workstation or cubicle space equipped with a telephone, headset and computer. Because many call centers are open extended hours or are staffed around the clock, these positions may require workers to take on early morning, evening, or late night shifts. Weekend or holiday work also may be necessary.
Customer Service Representative Personal Requirements
- Able to deal politely with the public
- Able to stay calm in difficult situations
- Able to work as part of a team
- Friendly, helpful and patient
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Interested in working with people
Customer Service Representative Employment Requirements
Most customer service representative jobs require only a high school diploma. However, many customer service jobs now require higher level of education. Computer knowledge and good interpersonal skills also are important qualities for people who wish to be successful in the field. Verbal communication and listening skills are especially important. Additionally, for representatives who communicate through e-mail, good typing, spelling and written communication skills are necessary.
Sales Assistants Duties and Tasks
Customer Service Representatives may perform some or all of the following duties and tasks:
- Explain the type and cost of goods and services offered
- Promote goods or services
- Provide information to customers and the public concerning goods, services, schedules, rates, regulations and policies in response to telephone and in-person enquiries
- Respond to enquiries and emergencies and investigate complaints
- Take customer orders for goods or services
Customer Service Representative Example Titles
- Bank Clerk
- Call Centre Agent
- Complaints Clerk - Customer Service
- Courtesy Desk Clerk
- Customer Service Clerk
- Enquirers Clerks
- Foreign Exchange Teller
- Hospital Information Clerk
- Order Desk Agent
- Public Relation Clerk
- Tourist Information Clerk
Customer Service Representative Related Occupations
- Bank Officers
- Call Centre Operators
- Financial Clerks
- Flight Attendants
- Insurance Investigators
- Sales Assistants
- Switchboard Operators
- Ticket Agents
Customer Service Related Industries
Customer Service Related Resumes
- Customer Account Executive resume sample in the combined format
- Customer Service Associate resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Customer Service Contractor resume sample in the functional format
- Customer Service Counselor resume sample in the functional format
- Customer Service Manager resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Customer Service Provider resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Customer Service Representative resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Customer Service resume sample in the functional format
- Customer Service Supervisor resume sample in the combined format
- Sales Associate resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Sales Position resume sample in the combined format
- Sales Representative resume sample in the combined format
- Sales Representative resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Sales Specialist resume sample in the combined format
- Salesperson resume sample in the functional format
You may search for sales careers right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Customer Service Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with customer service representative occupation!