Derrickman Occupation, Job and Career
Derrickman Nature of Work
The derrickman is one of the drill rig crew members who gets his name from the fact that during trips he works on a platform attached to the derrick or mast, typically 85 ft [26 m] above the drill rig floor.
On small land drilling crews, the derrickman is second in rank to the driller. Larger offshore crews may have an assistant driller between the derrickman and the driller.
In a typical trip out of the hole (TOH), the derrickman wears a special safety harness that enables him to lean out from the work platform (called the monkeyboard) to reach the drillpipe in the center of the derrick or mast, throw a line around the pipe and pull it back into its storage location (the fingerboards) until it is time to run the pipe back into the well. In an emergency, the derrickman can quickly reach the ground by an escape line often called the Geronimo line.
His other job is to handle the mud-processing area during periods of circulation. The derrickman measures mud density and conducts the viscosity test on a regular basis. The derrickman reports to the toolpusher during periods of circulation, but is instructed in detail by the mud engineer on what to add to the mud, how fast and how much.
Derrickmen are employed by drilling and well service contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
Derrickman Work Conditions
The derrickman usually work long hours in all weather conditions on extended roster systems, usually as member of a crew. In terms of skill, physical exertion and perceived danger, a derrickman has one of the most physically demanding jobs on the drill rig crew.
Derrickman Personal Requirements
- able to work as part of a team
- aptitude for mechanics and able to handle machinery
- be 18 years old (as it is a legal requirement on most mine and quarry sites)
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good organization skills
- have a drug and alcohol clearance
- pass a medical examination
- physically fit
- willing to work in remote areas under difficult conditions
Derrickman Employment Requirements
- Completion of secondary school is required
- One year of experience as a floorhand, assistant or laborer is usually required
- Certificates in first aid, hydrogen sulphide awareness, blowout prevention, workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS), transportation of dangerous goods (TDG), cryogenic safety or in other safety concerns may be required
Derrickman Duties and Tasks
The derrickman perform some or all of the following duties:
- Align and manipulate sections of pipe or drill stem from a platform on the rig derrick during the removal and replacement of strings of pipe, or drill stem and drill bit
- Assist in setting up, taking down and transporting drilling and service rigs
- Operate and maintain drilling rig diesel motors, transmissions, pumps and drilling mud systems, and mix mud chemicals, cements and additives
- Read gauges to monitor pressure, density, rate and concentration and adjust pumping procedure as required
- Record mud flows and volumes and take samples
- Supervise floorhands and laborers
Derrickman Example Titles
- Blender Operator
- Coiled Tubing Operator
- Formation Fracturing Operator
- Pamper Operator
- Pump Man/Woman
Derrickman Related Occupations
Oil and Gas Related Industries
Derrickman Related Resumes
- Driller resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Landman resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Laborer resume sample in the functional format
You may search for oil and gas careers or derrickman occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Derrickman Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with derrickman occupation!