Desktop Publishing Occupation, Job and Career
Desktop Publishing Nature of Work
Desktop publishers produce professionally designed and presented documents, according to specified design and presentation requirements, using desktop publishing.
Desktop Publishing Work Conditions
Desktop publishers may work long hours when a particular deadline must be met.
Desktop Publishing Personal Requirements
- able to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- artistic ability for drawing, design and layout
- creativity, imagination and versatility
- enjoy working with computers
- good visual, oral and written communication skills
- patience for fine, detailed work
Desktop Publishing Employment Requirements
- Completion of secondary school
- Completion of a college program in graphic arts or other training in typography, computer typesetting, or desktop publishing is usually required.
Desktop Publishing Duties and Tasks
Desktop publishers may perform the following tasks:
- amend layout, select fonts and integrate text with graphics to create a balanced and readable document
- design and arrange layouts to meet clients' requirements by studying drawings, photographs, texts and artwork to be reproduced
- merge photographs with computer images, scan and adjust colors for the publication
- prepare quotations for work contracts
- prepare sketches and discuss design concepts with clients
- produce graphics from an original concept, either free-hand or by computer
- save finished to camera-ready stage copy to disk or cartridge, and forward it either to the printing or publishing house for mass production
- talk to clients about problems arising during the production phase and advise on possible solutions
- talk to clients to obtain a clear understanding of their requirements
Desktop Publishing Example Titles
- Computer Typesetter
- Copy Marker
- Desktop Compositor
- Phototypesetter Operator
Desktop Publishing Related Occupations
- Copy Stylist
- Graphic Designer
Publishing Related Industries
Desktop Publishing Related Resumes
- Proofreader resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Senior Writer resume sample in the chronological format
- Senior Writer resume sample in the reverse chronological format
You may search for desktop publishing occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Desktop Publishing Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with desktop publishing occupation!