Driller Occupation, Job and Career
Driller Nature of Work
Oil and gas well driller set up or operate a variety of drills to remove petroleum products from the earth. The drillers find and remove core samples for testing during oil and gas exploration.
Oil and gas well drillers control the operation and direct the activities of the rig crew under supervision of the rig manager . The driller is responsible for the efficient operation of the rig-site as well as the safety of the crew and typically has many years of rig site experience.
Most drillers have worked their way up from other rigsite jobs. The driller must know how to perform each of the jobs on the rig. The driller also operates the drawworks brake using a long-handled lever. Hence, the driller is sometimes referred to as the person who is "on the brake."
Drillers are employed by drilling and well service contractors, petroleum producing companies and well logging or testing companies.
Driller Work Conditions
Drillers and drillers' assistants usually work long hours on extended roster systems and either outdoors in all weather conditions or underground, usually as members of teams or crews. The work is generally hard and physically demanding
Driller Personal Requirements
- able to record details accurately
- able to work as part of a team
- aptitude for mechanics and able to handle machinery
- be 18 years old (as it is a legal requirement on most mine and quarry sites)
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good organization skills
- have a drug and alcohol clearance
- pass a medical examination
- physically fit
- willing to work in remote areas under difficult conditions
Drillers Employment Requirements
- A college diploma in drilling may be required
- Certificates in first-aid, hydrogen sulphide awareness, blowout prevention, well control, workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS), transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) and a special oil well operator certificate are required.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required
- Offshore work requires several years of experience in an equivalent position on land
- Three to six months of formal on-the-job training, college or Petroleum Industry Training Service (PITS) courses and four or more years of work experience in subordinate rig crew positions
Drillers Duties and Tasks
Drillers may perform the following tasks:
- Assist with well development and pumping tests
- Direct rig crew in setting up rigs and drilling, completing or servicing oil and gas exploration and producing wells
- Maintain records of drilling and servicing operations
- Move drilling rigs and equipment from site to site, set up in the new site and connect power cables or hoses for water and air supply
- Obtain drilling core samples
- Operate controls of drill or service rig drilling and hoisting machinery including equipment such as pumps for air, water and mud, and equipment and tools used to correct problems in drilled holes caused by mechanical breakdowns or by harmful natural conditions
- Train or arrange for training of crew
Driller Example Titles
- Assistant Driller
- Directional Drilling Operator
- Downhole Tool Operator
- Drill Stem Tester
- electric Line Operator
- Logging and Perforating Operator
- Service Rig Operator
- Slickline Operator
- Well Testing Operator
- Wireline Operator
Driller Related Occupations
Oil and Gas Related Industries
Driller Related Resumes
- Driller resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Landman resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Laborer resume sample in the functional format
You may search for oil and gas careers or driller occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Driller Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with driller occupation!