Fashion Designer Occupation, Job and Career
Fashion Designer Nature of Work
Fashion designers design and create clothing and accessories for men, women and children. Fashion designers are employed by clothing and textiles companies. Some high-fashion designers are self-employed and design for individual clients. Other high-fashion designers cater to specialty stores or high-fashion department stores. These designers create original garments, as well as clothing that follow established fashion trends. Most fashion designers, however, work for apparel manufacturers, creating designs of fashions for the mass market.
Fashion designers may conceptualize and produce designs for film, television, theater and video productions, garments and textiles, displays and exhibits, and for other creative items such as jewellery and trophies. Theater designers are employed by performing arts and broadcasting companies and by festivals.
Fashion Designer Work Conditions
Fashion designers may work individually or as part of a team.
Working conditions and places of employment vary. Designers employed by manufacturing establishments, large corporations or design firms generally work regular hours. Fashion designers in smaller design consulting firms, or those who freelance, generally work on a contract, or job, basis. They frequently adjust their workday to suit their clients’ schedules and deadlines, meeting with the clients during evening or weekend hours when necessary.
Fashion Designer Personal Requirements
- able to work under pressure
- creative flair and drawing talent
- enjoy artistic and creative activities
- good color and design sense
- good communication skills
- good hand-eye coordination
Fashion Designer Employment Requirements
- A university degree in fine arts or visual arts with specialization in the atre design, clothing design or
- exhibit design or
- completion of a college or
- art school program in the atre design, clothing design or
- exhibit design
- Creative ability, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work
- Use of computer-aided design (CAD) software may be required
Fashion Designer Duties and Tasks
Fashion designers may perform the following tasks:
- approve final samples before they go into production
- supervise staff
- control merchandising and retailing of garments
- finalize specification sheets with detailed sketches and trim details
- fit samples and discuss them with management, sales and manufacturing staff, and contribute to costing estimates
- illustrate concepts by producing storyboard and specification drawings
- liaise with production staff during mass production of garments, and participate in quality control
- make patterns, or work closely with patternmakers, to draft patterns from sketches or specification drawings
- research and develop fabrics and accessories for production of garments
- select fabric, color and trim, and undertake cutting and machining of sample garments
- travel overseas to gain information on current fashion trends
- use computers to manipulate and develop patterns and modify designs
Fashion Designer Example Titles
- Clothing Designer
- Costume Designer
- Couturier - Haute Couture
- Fabric Designer
- Jewellery Designer
Fashion Designer Related Occupations
- Fashion Coordinators
- Interior Decorators
- Interior Designers
- Set Designers
- Textile Designers
Apparel Related Industries
Fashion Designer Related Resumes
- Clothing Store Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Cosmetics Retail Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Fashion Store Manager resume sample in the combined format
You may search for apparel careers or fashion designer occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Fashion Designer Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with fashion designer occupation!