Mining Engineer Occupation, Job and Career
Mining Engineer Nature of Work
Mining engineers plan, direct, design, organize and supervise the development of mines, mine facilities, systems and equipment; and prepare and supervise the extraction of metallic or non-metallic minerals and ores from underground or surface mines. Mining engineers are employed by mining companies, consulting engineering companies, manufacturers, government and in educational and research
Mining Engineer Work Conditions
Mining engineers may work on site in remote areas. They often work for international companies and may travel or work overseas.
Mining Engineer Personal Requirements
- able to accept responsibility
- able to identify, analyze and solve problems
- able to think and act decisively
- able to work as part of a team
- able to work independently
- aptitude for computing and design
- enjoy technical and engineering work
- good oral and written communication skills
- practical and creative
- willing to adhere to the safety requirements of the operation
Mining Engineer Employment Requirements
- A bachelor's degree in mining engineering or in a related engineering discipline
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering
- Supervisory and senior positions require experience.
Mining Engineers Duties and Tasks
Mining engineers may perform the following tasks:
- conduct investigations of mineral deposits and undertake evaluations in collaboration with geologists, other earth scientists and economists to determine whether the mineral deposits can be mined profitably
- determine the most suitable method of mining the minerals taking into account factors such as the depth and characteristics of the deposit and its surroundings
- prepare plans for mines, including tunnels and shafts for underground operations, and pits and haulage roads for open-cut operations, using computer-aided design packages
- prepare the layout of the mine development and the procedure by which the minerals are to be mined
- plan and coordinate the employment of mining staff and equipment with regard to efficiency, safety and environmental conditions
- talk to geologists and other engineers about the design, selection and provision of machines, facilities and systems for mining, as well as infrastructure such as access roads, water and power supplies
- liaise and coordinate with the operations supervisor to make sure there is proper implementation of the plans
- operate computers to assist with calculations, prepare estimates on the cost of the operation and control expenditure when mines come into production
- oversee the construction of the mine and the installation of plant and equipment
- make sure that mining regulations are observed, including the proper use and care of explosives, and the correct ventilation to allow the removal of dust and gases
- conduct research aimed at improving efficiency and safety in mines
- establish first aid and emergency services facilities at the mines
Mining Engineer Example Titles
- Mine Development Engineer
- Mine Layout Engineer
- Mine Safety Engineer
- Mine Ventilation Engineer
- Minerals Engineer
Mining Engineer Related Occupations
- Engineering Managers
- Geological Engineers
- Mine Managers
- Mineral Process Engineers
Mining Related Industries
Mining Related Resumes
- Drilling Engineer resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Offshore Petroleum Engineer resume sample in the combined format
- Petroleum Engineer resume sample in the reverse chronological format
You may search for mining careers or mining engineer occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Mining Engineer Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with mining engineer occupation!