Motorman Occupation, Job and Career
Motorman Nature of Work
A motorman is the member of the oilrig crew responsible for maintenance of the engines. While all members of the oil rig crew help with major repairs, the motorman does routine preventive maintenance, minor repairs, drive trucks and operate specialized hydraulic pumping systems to place cement in wells or to treat wells with chemicals, sand mixtures or gases to stimulate production.
Motormen are employed by oil drilling and oil well service contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
Motorman Work Conditions
The motorman usually works long hard days on extended roster systems and either outdoors in all weather conditions or underground. The work is generally hard and physically demanding. Progression to oil and gas well driller or service rig operator is possible with experience.
Motorman Personal Requirements
- Able to work as part of a team
- Aptitude for mechanics and able to handle machinery
- Be 18 years old (as it is a legal requirement on most mine and quarry sites)
- Clean police record
- Enjoy practical and manual activities
- Good organization skills
- Have a drug and alcohol clearance
- Pass a medical examination
- Physically fit
- Willing to work in remote areas under difficult conditions
Motorman Employment Requirements
- Completion of secondary school is required
- Training of up to three months with an experienced operator is required for oil and gas well services operators
- One year of experience as a floorhand, assistant or laborer is usually required
- Certificates in first aid, hydrogen sulphide awareness, blowout prevention, workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS), transportation of dangerous goods (TDG), cryogenic safety or in other safety concerns may be required
Motorman Duties and Tasks
Motorman/woman may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Align and manipulate sections of pipe or drill stem from a platform on the rig derrick during the removal and replacement of strings of pipe, or drill stem and drill bit
- Assemble pumping equipment and attach pumps and hoses to wellhead
- Assist in setting up, taking down and transporting drilling and service rigs
- Drive well services truck to well site
- May mix chemicals and cements
- Operate and maintain drilling mud systems and pumps during drilling, and mix mud chemicals and additives
- Operate and maintain drilling rig diesel motors, transmissions and other mechanical equipment
- Operate hydraulic pumping systems to pump chemicals, gases, sand, cement or other material into well
- Read gauges to monitor pressure, density, rate and concentration and adjust pumping procedure as required
- Record mudflows and volumes and take samples
- Supervise floorhands and laborers
- Perform other tasks as needed
Motorman Example Titles
- Acid Truck Driver
- Blender Operator
- Chemical Services Operator
- Coiled Tubing Operator
- Formation Fracturing Operator
- Nitrogen Operator
- Pumper Operator
- Service Rig Helper
Motorman Related Occupations
Oil and Gas Related Industries
Oil and Gas Related Resumes
- Driller resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Landman resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Laborer resume sample in the functional format
You may search for oil and gas careers or motorman occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Motorman Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with motorman occupation!