Purchasing Careers, Jobs and Occupations
Purchasing companies purchase consumer goods such as apparel, footwear, food, home furnishings, building supplies, books and videos, toys, house wares, pools and spas, and other items for they clients.
Purchasing occupations include purchasing managers, buyers, purchasing agents, procurement managers, contract administrators, estimators, quotation administrators, commodity traders and any position requiring a professional purchaser designation or completion of the appropriate course.
Purchasing managers, buyers and purchasing agents seek to obtain the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible purchase cost for their employers.
In general, purchasers buy goods and services for use by their company or organization, whereas buyers typically buy items for resale. Purchasers and buyers determine which commodities or services are best, choose the suppliers of the product or service, negotiate the lowest price, and award contracts that ensure that the correct amount of the product or service is received at the appropriate time. In order to accomplish these tasks successfully, purchasing managers, buyers, and purchasing agents study sales records and inventory levels of current stock, identify foreign and domestic suppliers, and keep abreast of changes affecting both the supply of, and demand for, needed products and materials.
Purchasing managers, buyers and purchasing agents evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, service support, availability, reliability and selection. To assist them in their search for the right suppliers, they review catalogs, industry and company publications, directories and trade journals. Much of this information is now available on the Internet. They research the reputation and history of the suppliers and may advertise anticipated purchase actions in order to solicit bids. At meetings, trade shows, conferences, and suppliers’ plants and distribution centers, they examine products and services, assess a supplier’s production and distribution capabilities, and discuss other technical and business considerations that influence the purchasing decision. Once all of the necessary information on suppliers is gathered, orders are placed and contracts are awarded to those suppliers who meet the purchaser’s needs. Contracts often are for several years and may stipulate the price or a narrow range of prices, allowing purchasers to reorder as necessary. Other specific job duties and responsibilities of purchasing managers, buyers and purchasing agents vary by employer and by the type of commodities or services to be purchased.
Purchasing Related Industries
Purchasing Related Resumes
- Acquisition Manager resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Acquisition Manager resume sample in the functional format
- Assistant Buyer resume sample in the combined format
- Contracts & Pricing Administrator resume sample in the functional format
- Contracts Manager resume sample in the functional format
- Distribution Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Distribution Manager resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Marketing and Distribution Professional resume sample in the combined format
- Merchandise Buyer resume sample in the combined format
- Procurement Manager resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Purchasing Administrator resume sample in the functional format
- Purchasing Professional resume sample in the combined format
- Replenishment Manager resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Senior Purchasing Manager resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Warehouse Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Warehouse Operations Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Worldwide Procurement Director resume sample in the functional format
- Worldwide Purchasing Manager resume sample in the combined format
You may search for purchasing careers right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
- "fill in the blanks" resume writing software.
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Purchasing Careers Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with purchasing careers!