Roustabout Occupation, Job and Career
Roustabout Nature of Work
A roustabout may be part of the drilling teams or crews, or may be on location temporarily for special operations. Roustabouts are commonly hired to ensure that the skilled personnel that run an expensive drilling rig are not distracted by peripheral tasks, ranging from any unskilled manual labor on the rigsite like cleaning up location to cleaning threads to digging trenches to scraping and painting rig components.
Roustabouts are employed by drilling and well servicing contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
Roustabout Work Conditions
The roustabout usually work long hard days on extended roster systems, and either outdoors in all weather conditions or underground. The work is generally hard and physically demanding. This type of work can lead to more steady employment on a rig crew.
Roustabout Personal Requirements
- able to work as part of a team
- aptitude for mechanics and able to handle machinery
- be 18 years old (as it is a legal requirement on most mine and quarry sites)
- clean police record
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good organization skills
- have a drug and alcohol clearance
- pass a medical examination
- physically fit
- willing to work in remote areas under difficult conditions
Roustabout Employment Requirements
- Completion of secondary school may be required
- Completion of introductory college or Petroleum Industry Training Service (PITS) courses may be required
- Certificates in hydrogen sulphide awareness, workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS) or transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) may be required
- Progression to more senior operating positions is possible with experience
- After roustabouts understand how the rig operates and demonstrates their work ethic, they may be promoted to other positions in the crew
- On-the-job training
Roustabout Duties and Tasks
Roustabouts may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Assemble or repair oil field equipment using hand and power tools
- Assist in slotting, welding and inserting casing screens
- Assist with well development and pumping tests
- Carry out minor maintenance and repairs, including lubrication
- Clean equipment, drill and camp sites
- Dig and clean mud pits and drains
- Help move drilling rigs and equipment from site to site, set up in the new site and connect power cables or hoses for water and air supply
- Help obtain drilling core samples
- Mix and test drilling fluids, chemicals and grout
- Operate equipment such as pumps for air, water and mud, and equipment and tools used to correct problems in drilled holes caused by mechanical breakdowns or by harmful natural conditions
- Perform other tasks as needed
Roustabout Example Titles
- Service Rig Helper
- Well Treatment Helper
Roustabout Related Occupations
Oil and Gas Related Industries
Oil and Gas Related Resumes
- Driller resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Landman resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Laborer resume sample in the functional format
You may search for oil and gas careers or roustabout occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Before you start searching for roustabout occupation you need to prepare your resume or CV and cover letter.
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Roustabout Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with roustabout occupation!