School Principal Occupation, Job and Career
School Principal Work Conditions
School principals generally work in an office or classroom in primary or secondary schools. They work long hours that may include evenings and weekends.
Principals confer with staff to advise, explain or answer procedural questions. They visit classrooms, observe teaching methods, review instructional objectives, and examine learning materials. They actively work with teachers to develop and maintain high curriculum standards; develop mission statements, and set performance goals and objectives. Principals must use clear, objective guidelines for teacher appraisals, because pay often is based on performance ratings.
Principals also meet and interact with other administrators, students, parents and representatives of community organizations.
Principals prepare budgets and reports on various subjects, including finances and attendance, and oversee the requisition and allocation of supplies.
Principals must take an active role to ensure that students meet national and local academic standards. Many principals develop school/business partnerships and school-to-work transition programs for students.
During summer months, principals are responsible for planning for the upcoming year, overseeing summer school, participating in workshops for teachers and administrators, supervising building repairs and improvements, and working to be sure the school has adequate staff for the school year.
School Principal Personal Requirements
- able to work as part of a team
- able to work under pressure and remain calm in stressful situations
- attention to detail
- good analytical skills
- good interpersonal and communication skills
- very good leadership skills
School Principal Employment Requirements
- A bachelor's degree in education
- A master's degree in education may be required
- A teacher's certificate
- Several years of experience as a senior teacher
School Principal Duties and Tasks
A school principal may perform the following tasks:
- develop approaches to management and policy within broad governmental guidelines in conjunction with the school council
- enforce discipline within the school
- identify student and staff needs now and in the future, and develop ways of addressing those needs
- implement systems and procedures to check school performance and student enrollments, the receipt of fees and the collection and storage of information required for reporting purposes
- liaise with other schools, parents and the wider community
- manage and coordinate the educational, administrative and financial affairs of a school
- manage arrangements for internal examinations
- manage staff recruitment and training
- organize and implement methods of raising additional funds in conjunction with parent groups
- perform teaching tasks
- promote the school through publicity, the development of promotional material, and contact with other organizations including school councils
- represent the school at community and administrative meetings
- supervise the maintenance of school facilities to provide a safe working environment for staff and students
School Principal Example Titles
- Chief Superintendent - Schools
- District School Superintendent
- Headmaster, Private School
- Secondary School Principal
- Superintendent of Elementary Education
- Superintendent of Secondary Schools
- Vice-Principal, School
School Principal Related Occupations
- Child Care Coordinator
- Education Manager
- Education Officer
- Teacher - English as a Second Language
- Teacher - Physical Education
Education Related Industries
School Principal Related Resumes
- College Educator resume sample in the combined format
- High School Teacher resume sample in the combined format
- Senior Education Specialist resume sample in the combined format
- University Vice President resume sample in the reverse chronological format
You may search for education careers or school principal occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other School Principal Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with school principal occupation!