Before you start exploring opportunities in the UAE you need to define what you are really looking for
The UAE Information
Working abroad sounds like an adventure to many people. However, job search in the UAE (United Arab Emirates) requires more than just the obvious the UAE CV writing and translation, it requires thorough preparation. You will experience problems that probably did not even come to your mind when you made a decision to find the UAE jobs.
Do not take too lightly the influence a job in the UAE can have on the effect of your adventure! For instance, you will experience the different immigration rules and practices, strange job application procedures, unfamiliar job candidate selection criteria and out of the ordinary management culture.
Most visits to the UAE are trouble-free but you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate international terrorist attacks, which could be against civilian targets, including places frequented by foreigners.
Time: GMT + 4
Telephone country code: 971
Internet country code: .ae
Annual vacation: Majority of Emiratis take annual vacations during school holidays.
- Autumn term - Sep 8 to Dec 12
- Spring term - Jan 5 to Mar 27
- Summer term - Apr 7 to Jun 26
- Autumn/spring term - Sep 12 to Jan 15
- Mid-term holiday - Jan 16 to Feb 2
- Spring/summer term - Feb 3 to Jun 13
- Summer holidays - Jun 14 to Sep 10
- 1 Jan - New Year's Day
- 7 Jan - Ashoura
- 9 Mar - Mouloud (Birth of the Prophet)
- 20 Jul - Leilat al-Meiraj (Ascension of the Prophet)
- 21 Sep - Eid al-Fitr (End of Ramadan)
- 28 Nov - Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice)
- 2 Dec - National Day
- 18 Dec - Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year)
- 27 Dec - Ashoura
- Offices - Sat-Wed 08:00-13:00 and 15:00/16:00-18:00/19:00, Thurs 08:00-12:00
- Banks - Sat-Wed 08:00-13:00, Thurs 08:00-12:00. Some also open Sat-Wed 16:30-18:30
- Stores - Daily 09:00-13:00 and 16:00-21:00, but many shops are open all day. Shops close for prayers Friday 11:30-13:30.
Friday is the Arabic Holy Day, so most businesses are closed.
Ramadan (holy month) occurs 11 days before the year’s Ramadan.
Background: The Trucial States of the Persian Gulf coast granted the UK control of their defense and foreign affairs in 19th century treaties. In 1971, six of these states - Abu Zaby, 'Ajman, Al Fujayrah, Ash Shariqah, Dubayy, and Umm al Qaywayn - merged to form the United Arab Emirates (UAE). They were joined in 1972 by Ra's al Khaymah. The UAE's per capita GDP is on par with those of leading West European nations. Its generosity with oil revenues and its moderate foreign policy stance have allowed the UAE to play a vital role in the affairs of the region.
Capital: Abu Dhabi
Climate: desert; cooler in eastern mountains
Ethnic groups: Emirati 19%, other Arab and Iranian 23%, South Asian 50%, other expatriates (includes Westerners and East Asians) 8% (1982)
Languages: Arabic (official), Persian, English, Hindi, Urdu
Other UAE Information
We hope that your UAE job search has been successful and you obtained your UAE visa. So, if your UAE cover letter and UAE CV are ready, you may email them to your future employers & job recruiters and start preparing for the UAE job interview.
Good luck with your UAE information!