Functional Curriculum Vitae Writing Guide
In a functional Curriculum Vitae (skill based), you highlight the skills and accomplishments developed through work, academic and community experiences. Your skills and potential can be stressed and lack of experience or possible gaps in work history de-emphasized.
The functional Curriculum Vitae is advantageous when:
- You want to emphasize skills not used in recent work experience.
- You want to focus on skills and accomplishments rather than a lengthy employment history.
- You are changing careers/reentering the job market.
- You want to market skills and experience gained through course work and/or volunteer experience.
- Your career growth in the past has not been continuous and progressive.
- You have a variety of unrelated work experiences.
- Your work has been freelance, consulting or temporary in nature,
The functional Curriculum Vitae is not advantageous when:
- You have little work experience or leadership experience.
- You want to emphasize promotions and career growth.
- You should highlight employers if you are working in highly traditional fields, such as teaching, accounting and politics.
Check the spelling and grammar of your functional Curriculum Vitae. Use the word processor's spell and grammar checker. If you are not confident of your ability to detect grammatical, punctuation and English or other language usage errors or if you need help in organizing your functional Curriculum Vitae, bring it to a professional for assistance.
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
- "fill in the blanks" resume writing software.
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
Other Functional Curriculum Vitae Info
Now to finalize your Functional Curriculum Vitae topic, if your cover letter and Curriculum Vitae are ready, you may email them through international job search to job recruiters and headhunters worldwide.
Good luck with your functional Curriculum Vitae!