CV Writing Tips
What to Leave Out Of Your CV
No matter which CV format you choose, there is a definite art of knowing what to put in your international CV and international cover letter and what to leave out of your CV. Remember that your main goal is to grab the interest of your reader and obtain an interview. You do not want to overwhelm them, yet you want to avoid being screened out in the initial stages. Put as much as in as you need to pick their interest.
There is information that you should think about leaving out of your CV:
- Salary expectations and history (unless absolutely demanded by the employer).
- Personal details such as your age, height, weight, marital status, country of origin, religion, criminal record or health.
- Details that do not relate to the position that you are applying for.
- Jargon or technical terminology that your reader will not understand.
- The names of any referees (you can give these once they ask you for them).
- Outright lies (there is fine line between exaggeration and fibbing - do not cross it, because it can be grounds for firing).
- Never misrepresent yourself by overstating your experience or skills. Even if you do not have every qualification sought by the employer, stick to the facts and tell the truth by emphasizing your strengths.
Some people may want to have two versions of their CV:
- One for computers to read - with a scannable format and detailed information. Send this one.
- One for humans to read - possibly with a creative layout, enhanced typography and summarized information. Carry this one to the job interview.
Check the spelling and grammarof your CV. Use the word processor's spell and grammar checker. If you are not confident of your ability to detect grammatical, punctuation and English or other language usage errors or if you need help in organizing your job application or CV, send it to a professional for assistance.
If you have a difficulty with your CV writing, instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use:
We are strongly recommending that you email your job applications and CVs together with cover letters.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use:
Other CV Writing Tips on What to Leave Out of Your CV
Now to finalize your CV Writing Tips What to Leave Out of CV topic, if your cover letter and CV are ready, you may email them through international job search engines to job recruiters and headhunters worldwide.
Good luck with your CV writing tips on what to leave out of your CV!