The best written CV is worthless if no one sees it!
In recent years it become increasingly popular to join the LinkedIn or Facebook social networking websites for professionals, where you may search for jobs and have your keyword-optimized, rich content profile with current CV. Hiring managers use them more frequently to consult your profile and supplement or check against the CV you send along. If you do not have an account, create one and include your social media link(s) on your CV.
However, you should manage your online presence and eliminate any photos and statements that could reflect poorly on you. From an employer’s point of view, someone who emphasizes partying on a social networking site is not focused on jobs and those who post complaints about work or colleagues are less desirable candidates. Online CV should not include sensitive information as they could show lack of respect for confidentiality and discretion.
How to Maximize Hits
Tips for maximizing CV “Hits”
- A hit is when one of your skills matches the computer search keywords or phrases in your Curriculum Vitae.
- Keep the most important information near the top of your Curriculum Vitae. When they receive a CV electronically, the look of it does not matter as much as when it is on paper.
- In your CV use common heading such as: Objective, Experience, Work History, Employment, Positions Held, Examinations, Skills, Certifications, Appointments, Summary, Accomplishments, Strengths, Education, Professional Affiliations, Publications, Licenses, Honors, Miscellaneous, etc.
- Use enough keywords to define your skills, experience, education, affiliations, etc. More skills and facts (key words) you provide, the more opportunities (hits) you will match or generate.
- The CV action words and phrases table may help with organizing your CV statements. They convey involvement and accomplishments making your CV more readable and effective.
- Increase your list of key words by including specifics. For example, list the names of software you use such as Microsoft Word or Lotus 1-2-3.
- Describe your experience with concrete words rather then vague descriptions. For example, it is better to use "managed a team of engineers" then "responsible for managing ...".
- Use jargon and acronyms specific to your industry (spell out the acronyms for human readers).
- Be concise and truthful.
- Focus on results not on duties and responsibilities.
- Use more then one page CV if necessary. The computer can easily handle multiple-page Curriculum Vitaes. It uses all of the information it extracts from your CV to determine if your skills match available positions. It allows you to provide more information than you would for a human reader.
- If you have extra space, describe your interpersonal traits and attitude. Key words could include: skill in time management, dependable, leadership, sense of responsibility, able to work under pressure, quick learning, good memory, etc.
- In addition to your e-mail address, include your regular phone number (and fax number, which you should try to arrange to have) on your Curriculum Vitae. This gives potential employers the option of contacting you in the way they prefer. Even if they never e-mail or fax you, it leaves a positive impression that you are up-to-date. Remember - every advantage helps.
- Keep CVs consistent in format, style and language.
Check the spelling and grammar of your CV and cover letter. Use the word processor's spell and grammar checker. If you are not confident of your ability to detect grammatical, punctuation and English or other language usage errors or if you need help in organizing your job application, CV or cover letter send it to a professional for assistance.
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
Other Maximize Hits Info
Good luck with your maximize hits!