Work abroad sounds like an adventure to many people. However, job search in India requires more than just the obvious Indian CV writing and translation, it requires thorough preparation. You will experience problems that did not even come to your mind when you decided to find a job in India.
Do not take too lightly the influence a work in India can have on the effect of your adventure! For instance, you will experience the different immigration rules and practices, strange job application procedures, unfamiliar job candidate selection criteria and out of the ordinary management culture.
Most visits to India are trouble-free but you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate international terrorist attacks, which could be against civilian targets, including places frequented by foreigners.
Time: GMT + 5.5.
Telephone country code: 91
Internet country code: .in
Annual vacation: Majority of Indians take annual vacations during school holidays.
- First Term Vacation: 1-5 Oct
- Pooja Holiday: 8-9 Oct
- Diwali Holiday: 25-28 Oct
- Second Term Vacation: 21 Dec to 3 Jan of next year
- Pongal Holiday: 13-15 Jan
- Summer Vacation: 1 Apr to 1 Jun
- 26 Jan - * Republic Day
- 23 Feb - Mahashivratri
- 9 Mar - Milad-Un-Nabi (Birth of the Prophet)
- 7 Apr - Mahavir Jayanthi
- 10 Apr - Good Friday
- 13 Apr - Easter Monday
- 9 May - Buddha Purnima
- 14 Aug - Janmashtami
- 15 Aug - * Independence Day
- 20-21 Sep - Id ul Fitr (End of Ramadan)
- 28 Sep - Dussehra (Vijaya Dashami)
- 2 Oct - * Mahatma Gandhi's Birthday
- 17 Oct - Deepavali or Diwali (Festival of Lights)
- 2 Nov - Guru Nanak's Birthday
- 27-28 Nov - Idu'l Zuha/Bakrid (Feast of the Sacrifice)
- 18 Dec - Muharram (Islamic New Year)
- 25 Dec - Christmas Day
- 26 Dec - Boxing Day
Note: * The above dates are Government of India holidays. Different in some regions.
- Offices - usually from Monday to Friday, 09:30 - 17:30, Saturday until 14:00. However, in some offices, there is a five-day week. Normally, lunch is for one hour, between 12:00 and 14:00
- Banks - Mon to Fri 10:00 - 14:30 and Sat 10:00-12:00
- Stores – Mon to Sat around 09:30-17:00 in most large stores; variable hours in bazaars
Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, goes back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in 12th were followed by European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism under Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU led to independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. India's nuclear weapons testing in 1998 caused Pakistan to conduct its own tests that same year. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as significant overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Capital: New Delhi
Climate: varies from tropical monsoon in south to temperate in north
Ethnic groups: Indo-Aryan 72%, Dravidian 25%, Mongoloid and other 3% (2000)
Languages: English enjoys associate status but is the most important language for national, political, and commercial communication; Hindi is the national language and primary tongue of 30% of the people; there are 14 other official languages: Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Oriya, Punjabi, Assamese, Kashmiri, Sindhi, and Sanskrit; Hindustani is a popular variant of Hindi/Urdu spoken widely throughout northern India but is not an official language.
Other India Information
We hope that your India job search has been successful and you have India visa and India work permit. So, if your India cover letter and India CV are ready, you may email them to your future employers and start preparing for an India job interview.
Good luck with your India information!
- --- India Economy >