The ways that we go about a career have changed. It used to be that you could call a few recruiters, send out some CVs or resumes and look for job ads in your Saturday newspaper.
A career now? - It's a jungle out there!
Telecom Technician Occupation, Job and Career
Telecom Technician Nature of Work
Telecommunications line and cable technicians install, repair and maintain telecommunication lines and cables. Telecommunications technicians are employed by cable television companies and by telephone and other telecommunications services.
Telecom Technician Work Conditions
Telecommunications technicians work both indoors and outdoors and have considerable contact with customers in business or in private homes. Telecommunications technicians may work in telephone exchanges, computer and equipment rooms, installation or service depots for sustained periods, or may be required to work in trenches and underground tunnels or at heights on towers and telegraph poles.
Telecom Technician Personal Requirements
- able to perform routine repetitive tasks as well as non-routine or highly analytical tasks
- able to work as part of a team
- able to work at heights and in confined spaces
- able to work with minimal supervision
- enjoy working on technical tasks
- normal colour vision
Telecom Technician Employment Requirements
- Completion of secondary school and
- completion of a four-year telecommunications line and cable apprenticeship program or
- a combination of over three years of work experience in the trade and industry-related or other specialized courses
Telecom Technicians Duties and Tasks
Communications linespersons may perform the following tasks:
- adjust, replace and repair faulty items at telephone installation centres or fault control centres
- attach outgoing and incoming cables to appliances being installed
- distribute cable pairs from exchanges or pillars
- erect, test and maintain aerial wires, cables and radio antennae
- install lead-ins, internal wiring and equipment at customers' premises
- install underground cables for telephone and other communications transmissions
- join cables and seal sheaths with lead or thermoplastic
- locate faults and test external plant equipment using instruments such as transmission measuring equipment, ohmmeters, voltmeters and ammeters
- look at drawings, specifications and work areas to work out positioning and connections for equipment to be installed
- run telephone cables underground
Telecom Technician Example Titles
- Cable Repairer, Telecommunications
- Communication Technician
- Telecommunications Line Installer
- Telephone Line Technician
Telecom Technician Related Occupations
- Cable Jointer
- Cable Television Service Technicians
- Electrical Linesperson
- Electrical Power-Line Technicians
- Electronics Engineer
- Electronics Engineering Technician
- Telecommunications Technician
- Trades / Technicians
Telecom Related Industries
Telecom Related Resumes
You may search for telecom technician occupation right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
- "fill in the blanks" resume writing software.
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invites you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Telecom Technician Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need to prepare a cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for a job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with telecom technician occupation!