The ways that we go about a career have changed. It used to be that you could call a few recruiters, send out some CVs or resumes and look for job ads in your Saturday newspaper.
A career now? - It's a jungle out there!
Secretary Occupation, Job and Career
Secretary Nature of Work
Secretaries perform a variety of administrative duties in support of managerial and professional employers. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors. Secretaries and administrative assistants usually work in schools, hospitals, corporate settings, or legal and medical offices.
Secretary Employment Requirements
- Completion of secondary school is usually required
- Completion of a one or two-year College or other program for secretaries
- Previous clerical experience is required.
Secretary Duties and Tasks
Secretaries may perform the following tasks:
- attend and take minutes of meetings, both in the office and at other locations
- draft letters and reports on behalf of the organization
- file correspondence and other records
- hire and supervise staff
- maintain budget and account records
- make and record appointments
- operate office equipment such as photocopiers, facsimile machines, switchboards, computers
- organize business itineraries, travel arrangements, conferences, meetings and social functions
- prepare agendas or programs for meetings
- purchase office supplies
- receive and process incoming and outgoing mail
- screen telephone and personal callers
- store and retrieve data on computers
- talk to clients
- transcribe shorthand notes or data from audio tapes into letters and reports using a computer
Secretary Example Titles
- executive secretary
- private secretary
- technical secretary
Secretary Work Conditions
Secretaries’ jobs often involve sitting for long periods. The duties secretaries perform vary a great deal according to the size and type of organization in which they work.
Secretary Personal Requirements
- able to act with tact and discretion
- able to work independently
- aptitude for working with computers
- can work under pressure and meet deadlines
- good command of the English language, both written and spoken
- good grooming and presentation
- sound organizational and interpersonal skills
Secretary Related Occupations
- Data Entry Clerk
- Legal Secretary
- Medical Secretary
- Office Administrator
- Office Manager
- Word Processing Operator
Administrative Related Industries
All private and public industries i.e.
- Health / Medical
- Human Resources
- Sales etc.
Secretary Related Resumes:
- Administrative Assistant Human Resources resume sample in the functional format
- Assistant Business Manager resume sample in the combined format
- Assistant Buyer resume sample in the combined format
- Assistant Manager resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Executive Assistant resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Executive Secretary resume sample in the combined format
- General Office Assistant resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Legal Secretary resume sample in the combined format
- Medical Billing Professional resume sample in the combined format
- Medical Records Technician resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Medical Secretary resume sample in the functional format
- Medical Transcriptionist resume sample in the combined format
- Office Assistant resume sample in the combined format
- Physician's Assistant resume sample in the combined format
- Secretary resume sample in the functional format
- Social Work Assistant resume sample in the reverse chronological format
You may search for secretary occupations right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your CV/resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have a difficulty with your CV writing or resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples, CV templates, resume samples and resume templates or:
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your resume or CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have a difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invite you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win at the interview and get the job you want.
Other Secretary Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting jobs you want, you need prepare cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for the visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with secretary occupation!