Best Resume Writing Tips
Tips for maximizing resume “Hits”
- A hit is when one of your skills matches the computer search keyword or phrase in your resume.
- Keep the most important information near the top of your resume. When they receive a resume electronically, the look of it does not matter as much as when it is on paper.
- In your resume use common heading such as: Objective, Experience, Work History, Employment, Positions Held, Examinations, Skills, Certifications, Appointments, Summary, Accomplishments, Strengths, Education, Professional Affiliations, Publications, Licenses, Honors, Miscellaneous, etc.
- Use enough key words to define your skills, experience, education, affiliations, etc. More skills and facts (key words) you provide, the more opportunities (hits) you will match or generate.
- The resume key words and phrases may help with organizing your resume statements. They convey involvement and accomplishments making your resume more readable and effective.
- Increase your list of key words by including specifics. For example, list the names of software you use such as Microsoft Word or Lotus 1-2-3.
- Describe your experience with concrete words rather then vague descriptions. For example, it is better to use "managed a team of engineers" then "responsible for managing ...".
- Use jargon and acronyms specific to your industry (spell out the acronyms for human readers).
- Be concise and truthful.
- Focus on results not on duties and responsibilities.
- Use more then one page resume if necessary. The computer can easily handle multiple-page resumes. It uses all of the information it extracts from your resume to determine if your skills match available positions. It allows you to provide more information than you would for a human reader.
- If you have extra space, describe your interpersonal traits and attitude. Key words could include: skill in time management, dependable, leadership, sense of responsibility, able to work under pressure, quick learning, good memory, etc.
- In addition to your e-mail address, include your regular phone number (and fax number, which you should try to arrange to have) on your resume. This gives potential employers the option of contacting you in the way they prefer. Even if they never e-mail or fax you, it leaves a positive impression that you are up-to-date. Remember - every advantage helps.
- Keep resumes consistent in format, style and language.
Check the spelling and grammar of your resume . Use the word processor's spell and grammar checker. If you are not confident of your ability to detect grammatical, punctuation and English or other language usage errors or if you need help in organizing your resume, bring it to a professional for assistance.
If you have a difficulty with your resume writing, instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use:
Resume Writing Tips on Resume Hits Info
Now to finalize your Best Resume Writing Tips - Resume Hits topic, if your cover letter and resume are ready, you may email them through international job search engines to job recruiters and headhunters worldwide.
Good luck with your best resume writing tips on resume hits!