Accountant Occupation, Job and Career
Accountant Nature of Work
Accountants plan, organize and administer accounting systems for individuals and establishments. Accountants are broadening the services they offer to include budget analysis, financial and investment planning, information technology consulting and limited legal services.
Accountant Duties and Tasks
Accountants may perform the following tasks:
- assist in the formulation of budgetary and accounting policies
- prepare financial statements for presentation to boards of directors, management, shareholders, and statutory bodies
- conduct financial investigations, undertake audits, prepares reports and advises on such matters as the purchase and sale of businesses, mergers, capital financing, suspected fraud, insolvency and taxation
- examine operating costs and the income and expenditure of institutions
- provide assurance about the accuracy of the information contained in financial reports and their compliance with statutory requirements
- provide financial and taxation advice on business structures, plans and operations
- liaise with bankers and brokers to establish funds management arrangements
- may advise on the selection and application of computer-based accounting systems
- may appraise cash flow and financial risk of capital investment projects
Accountant Example Titles
- Certified General Accountant
- Chartered Accountant
- Chief Accountant
- Income Tax Expert
- Industrial Accountant
- Management Accountant
Accountant Work Conditions
Accountants may work on their own or with other accountants. Accountants work indoors in offices. Accountants in private practice have a high level of public contact. Some positions involve travel, which is often interstate or overseas. Hours are usually regular although may be long when working to deadlines. Tax specialists often work long hours during the tax season.
Accountant Personal Requirements
- strong mathematical ability
- good communication skills
- good presentation skills
- able to build rapport with clients
- able to analyze and solve problems
- good organizational skills
- discretion when dealing with confidential information
- professional and ethical
Accountant Related Occupations
- Company Secretary
- Financial Planner
- Management Consultant
- Marketing Manager
Accounting Related Industries
Accountant Resume Samples
- Accountant resume sample in the chronological format
- Accountant resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Accounting executive resume sample in the combined format
- Accounting professional resume sample in the combined format
- Accounting Professional resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Accounts payable bookkeeper resume sample in the combined format
- Accounts payable clerk resume sample in the combined format
- Auditor resume sample in the combined resume format
- Bookkeeper resume sample in the functional format
- Certified Public Accountant resume sample in the combined format
- Cost Analyst resume sample in the combined format
- CPA accountant resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Financial accountant resume sample in the combined format
- Senior Staff Accountant resume sample in the combined format
- Staff accountant resume sample in the combined format
- Tax accountant resume sample in the combined format
- Tax accounting controller resume sample in the reverse chronological format
- Trade accountant resume sample in the combined format
You may search for accounting careers right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advises.
Use the Country Job Search or Job Search in Country job search engines!
Remember that your resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have difficulty with your resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use resume samples and resume templates or:
- "fill in the blanks" resume writing software.
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your CV or resume.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invites you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win the interview and get the job you want.
Other Accountant Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and getting the jobs you want, you need to prepare a cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for a visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for a job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
Good luck with your accountant occupation!