Functional CV Writing Guide
In a functional CV (skill-based), you highlight the skills and accomplishments developed through work, academic and community experiences. Your skills and potential can be stressed and lack of experience or possible gaps in work history de-emphasized.
The functional CV is advantageous when:
- You want to emphasize skills not used in recent work experience.
- You want to focus on skills and accomplishments rather than a lengthy employment history.
- You are changing careers/reentering the job market.
- You want to market skills and experience gained through course work and/or volunteer experience.
- Your career growth in the past has not been continuous and progressive.
- You have a variety of unrelated work experiences.
- Your work has been freelance, consulting or temporary in nature,
The functional CV is not advantageous when:
- You have little work experience or leadership experience.
- You want to emphasize promotions and career growth.
- You should highlight employers if you are working in highly traditional fields, such as teaching, accounting and politics.
A CV is similar to a resume in that it provides more details about one’s professional qualifications, experience and education. However, the term "Curriculum Vitae" most often called CV, typically carries a different meaning depending on whether one distributes the CV within the US, Canada or internationally (external to the US or Canada) or is seeking a faculty, academic, research, clinical or scientific position.
You can turn your updated resume into a CV by adding relevant detailed information and expanding the descriptions of your educational and professional experiences.
Check the spelling and grammar of your functional CV. Use the word processor's spell and grammar checker. If you are not confident of your ability to detect grammatical, punctuation and usage errors in English or other language or if you need help in organizing your functional CV, bring it to a professional for assistance.
- "fill in the blanks" resume writing software.
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your CV.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
Other Functional CV Info
Good luck with your functional CV!