Derrickman Occupation, Job and Career
Derrickman Nature of Work
The derrickman is one of the drill rig crew members who gets his name from the fact that during trips he works on a platform attached to the derrick or mast, typically 85 ft [26 m] above the drill rig floor.
On small land drilling crews, the derrickman is second in rank to the driller. Larger offshore crews may have an assistant driller between the derrickman and the driller.
In a typical trip out of the hole (TOH), the derrickman wears a special safety harness that enables him to lean out from the work platform (called the monkeyboard) to reach the drillpipe in the centre of the derrick or mast, throw a line around the pipe and pull it back into its storage location (the fingerboards) until it is time to run the pipe back into the well. In an emergency, the derrickman can quickly reach the ground by an escape line often called the Geronimo line.
His other job is to handle the mud-processing area during periods of circulation. The derrickman measures mud density and conducts the viscosity test on a regular basis. The derrickman reports to the toolpusher during periods of circulation but is instructed in detail by the mud engineer on what to add to the mud, how fast and how much.
Derrickmen are employed by drilling and well service contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
Derrickman Work Conditions
The derrickman usually works long hours in all weather conditions on extended roster systems, usually as a member of a crew. In terms of skill, physical exertion and perceived danger, a derrickman has one of the most physically demanding jobs on the drill rig crew.
Derrickman Personal Requirements
- able to work as part of a team
- aptitude for mechanics and able to handle machinery
- be 18 years old (as it is a legal requirement on most mine and quarry sites)
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good organization skills
- have a drug and alcohol clearance
- pass a medical examination
- physically fit
- willing to work in remote areas under difficult conditions
Derrickman Employment Requirements
- Completion of secondary school is required
- One year of experience as a floorhand, assistant or labourer is usually required
- Certificates in first aid, hydrogen sulphide awareness, blowout prevention, workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS), transportation of dangerous goods (TDG), cryogenic safety or in other safety concerns may be required
Derrickman Duties and Tasks
The derrickman performs some or all of the following duties:
- Align and manipulate sections of pipe or drill stem from a platform on the rig derrick during the removal and replacement of strings of pipe, or drill stem and drill bit
- Assist in setting up, taking down and transporting drilling and service rigs
- Operate and maintain drilling rig diesel motors, transmissions, pumps and drilling mud systems, and mix mud chemicals, cement and additives
- Read gauges to monitor pressure, density, rate and concentration and adjust pumping procedure as required
- Record mudflows and volumes and take samples
- Supervise floorhands and labourers
Derrickman Example Titles
- Blender Operator
- Coiled Tubing Operator
- Formation Fracturing Operator
- Pamper Operator
Derrickman Related Occupations
Oil and Gas Related Industries
Derrickman Related Resumes
You may search for oil and gas careers or derrickman occupations right now, but when you find one you must apply immediately for it with your current CV or resume. We recommend that you have your cover letter ready too. So, do not forget about our resume writing, CV writing and cover letter writing advice.
Before you start searching for careers, occupations and jobs you need to prepare your resume or CV and cover letter
Remember that your resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have difficulty with your resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use resume samples and resume templates.
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your CV or resume. So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview using cover letter writing tips.
After completion of your job application, resume or CV and cover letter you should submit them to headhunters and recruiters in places where you want to work.
When a potential employer invites you for an interview, you need to prepare yourself to win the interview and get the job you want.
Other Derrickman Occupation Info
To be successful in your country job search and get the jobs you want, you need to prepare a cover letter and CV or resume which you must email instantly to the prospective employers selected during a job search.
When you receive an invitation to the interview, you may apply for a visa and work permit. Then prepare yourself for a job interview and take a look at typical job interview questions, job interview tips and other job search skills.
Check the job interview dos & don’ts and other job search skills pages. Find out why people are not hired for available jobs.
Follow up the job interview with a thank you letter. Employers regard this as an indication of your final interest in the position.
In addition, on international job search, visas, work permits, cover letters, CVs & resumes, job interviews and dress codes pages, you will find very useful tips for many different countries.
Good luck with the derrickman occupation!