How to Maximize Hits
Tips for maximizing CV “Hits”
- A hit is when one of your skills matches the computer search keywords or phrases in your Curriculum Vitae.
- Keep the most important information near the top of your Curriculum Vitae. When they receive a CV electronically, the look of it does not matter as much as when it is on paper.
- In your CV use common heading such as Objective, Experience, Work History, Employment, Positions Held, Examinations, Skills, Certifications, Appointments, Summary, Accomplishments, Strengths, Education, Professional Affiliations, Publications, Licenses, Honors, Miscellaneous, etc.
- Use enough keywords to define your skills, experience, education, affiliations, etc. More skills and facts (keywords) you provide, the more opportunities (hits) you will match or generate.
- The CV action words and phrases table may help with organizing your CV statements. They convey involvement and accomplishments making your CV more readable and effective.
- Increase your list of keywords by including specifics. For example, list the names of the software you use such as Microsoft Word or Lotus 1-2-3.
- Describe your experience with concrete words rather than vague descriptions. For example, it is better to use "managed a team of engineers" than "responsible for managing ...".
- Use jargon and acronyms specific to your industry (spell out the acronyms for human readers).
- Be concise and truthful.
- Focus on results, not on duties and responsibilities.
- Use more than one page CV if necessary. The computer can easily handle multiple-page Curriculum Vitaes. It uses all of the information it extracts from your CV to determine if your skills match available positions. It allows you to provide more information than you would for a human reader.
- If you have extra space, describe your interpersonal traits and attitude. Keywords could include skill in time management, dependability, leadership, sense of responsibility, able to work under pressure, quick learning, good memory, etc.
- In addition to your e-mail address, include your regular phone number (and fax number, which you should try to arrange to have) on your Curriculum Vitae. This gives potential employers the option of contacting you in the way they prefer. Even if they never e-mail or fax you, it leaves a positive impression that you are up-to-date. Remember - every advantage helps.
- Keep CVs consistent in format, style and language.
Check the spelling and grammar of your CV and cover letter. Use the word processor's spell and grammar checker. If you are not confident of your ability to detect grammatical, punctuation and usage errors in English or other language or if you need help in organizing your job application, CV or cover letter send it to a professional for assistance.
Remember that your CV must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have difficulty with your CV writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use CV samples and CV templates.
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your CV. So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview using cover letter writing tips.
Other Maximize Hits Info
Now to finalize your Hits topic, if your cover letter and CV are ready, you may email them through an international job search to job recruiters and headhunters worldwide.
Start preparing for job interviews and check the job interview tips dos and don'ts. Also, find out why people are not being hired.
In addition, on job search, visas, work permits, cover letters, CV & resume, job interview and dress codes pages, you will find very useful tips for many different countries.
Good luck with your maximize hits!