Hong Kong Work Permit

April 17, 2023 0 Comments

Hong Kong Work Permit

Work in Hong Kong demand more than the Hong Kong work permit and just the obvious Hong Kong CV or Hong Kong resume with Hong Kong cover letter writing and translation – they require thorough preparation. You should be prepared to take Hong Kong as it is with all of its difficulties, contradictions and challenges. You will be confronted with problems that in all possibility did not even cross your mind when you started the Hong Kong job search.

Do not take too lightly the influence of employment in Hong Kong can have on the final result of your adventure! For example, you will experience the unfamiliar immigration rules and practices, strange job application procedures, bizarre job selection trends and weird management culture.

Hong Kong became a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China in 1997. Since then, you can make visa applications in person at a Chinese embassy or consulate in your home country and by mail to the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department.

Most visits to Hong Kong are trouble-free but you should be aware of the risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be against Western interests and civilian targets, including places frequented by foreigners like restaurants, hotels, clubs and shopping areas. In recent years, the Hong Kong authorities have carried out a number of investigations and operations against terrorist networks.
You should exercise a high level of security awareness and monitor local news broadcasts and consular messages. Ensure that your travel documents and visas are current and valid and secured in a safe place. Carry a photocopy of your travel documents in lieu of the originals. Maintain a low profile, vary times and routes of travel, and exercise caution while driving. Making local contacts quickly and seeking support from other expatriates will greatly increase your comfort and safety.

All visitors to Hong Kong require an entry visa/permit to work, study, establish or join in any business, take up residence or stay in the Hong Kong SAR as a visitor longer than the allowed visa-free period.

Those entering Hong Kong on a visit (tourist) visa may not be employed or engage in business-related activities during their time in the SAR.

Check visa requirements on the Hong Kong visa page.

While each application is determined on its individual merits, all foreign visitors to HK should meet normal immigration requirements such as:

  • have a passport that is valid for at least one month beyond the date of intended stay,
  • have a valid travel document with adequate return ability to his/her country of residence or citizenship,
  • have sufficient funds to cover the duration of their stay without working,
  • have a clear criminal record and raise no security or criminal concerns to the Hong Kong SAR,
  • have no likelihood of becoming a burden on Hong Kong.

Passport and Hong Kong Work Permit


All nationals will require a passport that is valid for at least one month beyond the date of your intended stay, adequate funds to cover your stay without working locally and evidence of onward/return transportation. 

Hong Kong Work Permit

The prospect of earning salaries that are much higher than what foreigners can earn in their own countries is a major temptation for many foreign nationals who come to work in Hong Kong.

Unless exempted, an employment visa is required to take up any employment – paid or unpaid, establish or join in a business venture, or take up residence in Hong Kong.

Those entering Hong Kong on a visit (tourist) visa may not be employed or engage in business-related activities during their time in the SAR.

To apply for an “Employment for Professionals” visa, you need to have a confirmed job offer and your potential employer has to sponsor your visa application by making an application to the Immigration Department on your behalf. In addition, the sponsoring company has to prove that you have the skills that are not available from the local job market.

Not you, but your future employer submits your work visa application. The company has to submit a confirmed offer of employment and proof that the remuneration package includes salary, accommodation, medical and educational provisions, as well as other benefits appropriate for professionals in Hong Kong.
The application process takes four to six weeks, after which the entry visa is issued to your employer, who should forward it to you.

Work visas are normally granted for the duration of your employment contract – usually for no more than 2 years. If the company wants to employ you for longer, it has to apply for a renewal.

A Hong Kong employment visa is not transferable from one company to another.

As you can see, finding an employer willing to sponsor your work visa is not easy.

Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG):

Applicants who have obtained a degree or higher qualification in a full-time and locally-accredited program in Hong Kong (hereafter “non-local graduates”) may apply to stay/return and work in the HKSAR under the “Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates” (aka “IANG”).

Non-local graduates who submit applications to the immigration department within six months after the date of their graduation (i.e. the date shown on their graduation certificates) are classified as “non-local fresh graduates.”

Non-local graduates who submit applications beyond six months of the date of their graduation are classified as “returning non-local graduates.”

General Employment Policy (GEP):

If an applicant does not qualify under the IANG schemes, he or she can apply under the General Employment Policy.

Applicants who are not non-local graduates but possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in the HKSAR may apply to come to work under the GEP.

For further information about the Hong Kong visa, contact the PRC embassy or consulate in your home country

Young people between 18 and 30 years old who are citizens of Australia, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea are eligible to apply for a 12-month working holiday visa, allowing them to take up temporary work and a short period of study in Hong Kong.

Other Hong Kong Work Permit Info

If your Hong Kong cover letter and Hong Kong CV or Hong Kong resume are ready, email them to the prospective employers selected during a job search in Hong Kong.

When you receive an invitation to the Hong Kong job interview, you may apply for a Hong Kong visa and Hong Kong work permit. Then prepare yourself for the Hong Kong job interview and take a look at the Hong Kong dress code because how you dress is one of the most important attributes in being hired.

Check the job interview dos & don’ts, job interview tips and other job search skills pages. Find out why people are not hired for available jobs.

In addition, on the international info, job search, visa, work permit, cover letter, CV & resume, job interview and dress code pages you will find many useful tips for overseas job seekers.

Good luck with your Hong Kong work permit.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.