Reverse Chronological Resume
The reverse chronological resume format is widely accepted and is applicable to most employers and recruiters.
The employers tend to prefer the reverse chronological resume because the format lists job history beginning with the most recent job listed first. Generally, the employers are interested in the last 10 to 15 years of your career.
In the reverse chronological resume, you emphasize job titles and employers and describe in detail duties and accomplishments. We recommended that your resume have an objective or summary, to focus the reader.
The reverse chronological resume is easy to read and can highlight career growth. This format suit those whose career goals are clearly defined and whose job objectives align with their strong, solid work history.
- Your recent employers and/or job titles are impressive.
- You are staying in the same career field.
- Your job history shows progress.
- You are working in a field where traditional job search methods are utilized (e.g. education, government).
The reverse chronological resume is not advantageous when:
- You are changing career fields.
- You have changed employers frequently.
- You want to de-emphasize age.
- You have been recently absent from the job market or have gaps in employment.
- It is much more difficult to highlight what you do best.
Check the spelling and grammar of your reverse chronological resume. Use the word processor's spell and grammar checker. If you are not confident of your ability to detect grammatical, punctuation and usage errors in English or other language or if you need help in organizing your resume, bring it to a professional for assistance.
Remember that your resume must be targeted, scannable and generate hits. If you have difficulty with your resume writing instead of staring at a blank piece of paper, use resume samples and resume templates or:
- "fill in the blanks" resume writing software
Most recruiters expect to receive a cover letter together with your CV or resume.
So, prepare a cover letter convincing the reader why you are the best candidate for the interview.
If you have difficulty with your cover letter writing use one of these:
Reverse Chronological Resume Info
Good luck with your reverse chronological resume!